Thursday, June 13, 2013

2013: Letter exchange between students from Richmond, California and Los Quinchos


My previous students, all in 5th grade, loved getting their pen pal letters from their Nicaraguan penpals (the letters the Quinchos wrote with me during summer 2012). It was awesome to my students' faces as they realized that they truly helped others - their donations went a long way in Nicaragua. All faces bore huge smiles as I showed them a video I put together of the donations being handed out to the Quinchos. During the letter exchange party, students helped each other translate the Spanish letters for those who couldn't read the language. A mother of one of my Richmond students made gallo pinto (Nicaraguan rice and beans) to eat while reading their letters and watching the video. Small donations can go a long way. Students from two distant nations felt so connected via small pieces of paper and school supplies. I love my job!  

No comments: