Monday, June 17, 2013

2013: Day 1 with Las Yahoskas



Day one with the girls was fantastic. They immediately wanted to read, grabbing my hands and leading me to the library :) It is nice to see them asking me, instead of me asking them. When reading with them, I saw a lot of improvement in their fluency and comprehension from previous years. The books donated in previous years have most certainly been used!



Today I read a cuento to the younger girls about a burro who found a magic, red pebble. So as not to be seen, he wished upon the magic pebble to turn into a rock as a lion was approaching. After the lion passed, he realized he couldn't turn himself back into a mule, for he had no hands to pick up the magic pebble. He went missing for over a year until his family found the rock in the forest - and wished he would reappear. He was dearly missed.

We used this book to make connections to their lives - many described times when their family members went missing and they were really worried. Many of the girls have cared for younger siblings, and several have lost siblings while caring for them. The girls were quick to pick up the message - be careful what you wish for!


Throughout the day, almost every girl asked me if they were going to receive pen pal letters for a third time - they were particularly excited to hear that my students in California included Jolly Ranchers in the envelopes! Letter writing will begin next week. To my students in Richmond, California - the responses to your letters will soon be under way!

No comments: