Thursday, June 5, 2008

2008: My First Homestay Experience

During our first week in Nicaragua, we traveled to a town two hours North of Managua, the capital. Driving into the city it was clear that Esteli wasn't as poverty stricken as Managua, but was still struggling to survive and thrive.

Language school and my homestay proved to be the least bittersweet experiences I encountered. I was comfortable, engaged, had time to retreat from my thoughts and inner pictures of poverty and maltreatment of the Nicaraguan people. Below are photos of my Spanish class (and our Spanish professor Nuvia), which we all participated in for five days from 8-12 pm, the women who kindly let me into their home, and the daughters of two people I have come to know and love. The last photo is of the adorable, yet overly energetic puppy who bit me when I had toast in my hand.





No comments: